We Live in a World of Light.
The Miracle of our sun provides us with oxygen, essential nutrients and allows us to read this page. The Earth’s sun is the reason life can exist on this planet, and our relationship with light and the process of how our bodies react with it is called photobiomodulation.
Although scientist have been experimenting with light therapy, including laser therapy since the 1960’s, recent understanding of how photobiomodulation effects the cells, and, improvements in devices has given low laser light therapy a new name. As of 2014, Photobiomodulation (PBM) was adopted as a more comprehensive term and added to the National Library of Medicine’s controlled vocabulary thesaurus. The use of this new name, also brings us a new definition: Photobiomodulation is “A form of light therapy that utilizes non-ionizing forms of light sources, including lasers, LEDs, and broadband light, in the visible and infrared spectrum. It is a non-thermal process involving endogenous chromophores eliciting photophysical (i.e., linear and nonlinear) and photo-chemical events at various biological scales. This process results in beneficial therapeutic outcomes including but not limited to the alleviation of pain or inflammation, immunomodulation, and promotion of wound healing and tissue regeneration.”
Photobiomodulation : Its Not a Miracle
Scientists now know how Photobiomodulation works.. PBM Therapy uses specific bands( Wave lengths) of light to stimulate tissue at and below the surface of the skin. After an injury, the body needs cellular fuel, known as ATP, (Adenosine triphosphate- the molecule that carries energy to the place where the fuel is needed) to heal. A PBM device directs light energy through the skin and to the injured cells. Cells then harness this energy and convert it into more ATP. The more ATP the body can produce, the faster the cells can repair cellular damage. Additionally, this injection of cellular fuel helps tissues eliminate the inflammatory substances that cause pain and lead to scar tissue. Photobiomodulation does not induce heating in tissues like earlier devices or surgical lasers.
Light therapy devices have been called many names over the years including:
- low-level laser (or light) therapy,
- low-intensity laser therapy,
- low-power laser therapy,
- cold laser,
- soft laser
There are many light therapy units on the market, and I have used quite a few of them. What I have learned is that most of them do help at some level to increase blood flow and accelerate healing, like a heating pad. Many of these devices consist of LED lights, and do not have the power or the wavelengths for deep penetration or the ability to get to the source of the injury, to help the cells where needed.
Recent advancements in photo-technology have allowed for the creation of powerful, safe, and user friendly medical PBM devices that are cordless, affordable and FDA approved for at home use. These third generation devices use specific, adjustable wavelengths that target the location, acuteness and extent of each injury. This form of medicine is quickly becoming a popular treatment option for Veterinarians, Chiropractors, oral surgeons, Professional sports teams and physicians all over the world.
Multi-radiance Medical’s third generation lasers have incorporated the most current technology available in light therapy. With more then 4000 studies published, MRM lasers are one of the most studied and understood PBM units on the market.
Research continues to shed light on the powerful healing properties of light therapy and continues to explore our bodies connection with the miracle of light. Numerous randomized double blind clinical trials have shown the efficacy of MRM Super pulsed Laser Therapy on various health conditions. These FDA-cleared devices have more power than most class IV lasers with the safety of class I.
Studies continue to prove that the ability to apply successful therapeutic doses of laser energy is achieving the proper combination of power, wavelength and time Multi Radiance Technology™ is exclusive to Multi Radiance Medical and cannot be found in other laser therapy devices or other competing modalities.
Learn more here, about how Photobiomodulation therapy can help relieve your pain with out the side effects of prescriptions, and in the comfort of your own home, for all your family members.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- What does Photobiomodulation / Low Light Laser treatment feel like? Does it hurt? There is little or no sensation during low light laser treatment. Some report feeling a mild, soothing warmth or tingling.
- Are there any side effects or associated risks? Within the more then 4000 studies and with more than twenty years of use by practitioners around the world, very few side effects have ever been reported. If a patient is allergic or ultra sensitive to light they may get a rash for a few days. Occasionally, as the healing response occurs, some chronic injuries or pain syndromes may initially feel aggravated post treatment .
- How long does the treatment take? Depending on the condition and the size of the area being treated, The average treatment duration is 5 minutes.
- How frequently should a patient be treated? Acute conditions can initially be treated once or twice a day. Chronic conditions respond best when treatments are received 3-4 times per week.
- How many treatments does it take? Treatment varies with the each condition. Acute conditions may only require 1-6 treatments while more chronic or long standing issues mayrequire 10-15 sessions and may require periodic ongoing care. Older patients generally require more treatments.
- How long until I notice results? You may feel results after your first treatment. Each treatment is cumulative and most patients feel results after 2-3 sessions.
Do you have questions, thoughts or a comment? Please let me know how I can help you find solutions to your pain with out pharmaceuticals. It is time we take our lives back, live pain free and enjoy the miracle that gives us life; Light.
To learn more about Photobiomodulation, check out these articles;
and to find out how Photobiomodulation can help you get your life back and talk to a representative: